Amusements and things to do in the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence department in the South of France.
Avignon Museums - Vaucluse (84)
- A rich art collection with some of the most prestigious signatures, in the private home of the art lovers who inherited them.
- Location: 5 rue Laboureur; 1 block east, half north of Lapidaire Museum
- Open: Wed-Sun, 13h-18h; Summer 13h-19h
- Entry: 6 euros; 7-12: 1.5€; under 7 free
- Tel: 0490 822 903; Fax: 0490 857 807
- Web: www.angladon.com/
- The 19th-century and 20th-century collections are on the ground floor. The older collections, displayed in the original family rooms on the upper floor. There's a large staircase and no elevator.
Calvet Museum - Musée Calvet
- A small 18th-century mansion, with classical and modern art, Greek sculpture and a local prehistorical collection.
- Location: 65 Rue Joseph Vernet; 3 blocks west, 3-4 south south of Place de l'Horloge
- Open: 10h à 13h, 14h à 18h - Closed Tuesday
- Entry: Musée Calvet, Beaux-Arts 6 €
Musée Calvet, Collection archéologique 2 €
- Tel: 0490 863 384
- Web: www.musee-calvet-avignon.com
- Entry for Calvet Museum and Lapidaire Museum: 7 €
Lapidaire Museum - Musée Lapidaire
- Located in the chapel of the 17th-century Jesuit College. Contains stone carvings and sculptures from the different civilizations, including a "bestiary", and extensive Roman artifacts.
Two ancient Provencal items we liked were: The Lion of Mornas, a monster animal crouched over a severed head, found in the village of Mornas; and the flesh-eating monster called the Tarasque de Noves, from the village of Noves (about 20 km northeast of Tarascon, known for its Tarasque monster.
- Location: Chapelle des Jésuites, 27 Rue de la République; 2 blocks east, 1 south of the Calvet museum; 3-4 blocks south of Place de l'Horloge
- Open: 10h à 13h et de 14h à 18h - Closed Monday
- Tel: 0490 847 538
- Web: www.musee-calvet-avignon.com
Louis Vouland Museum - Musée
- Decorative arts, especially for 18th-century French furnishings, porcelain and faience and tapestries.
Petit Palais Museum
- This museum and art gallery is in the beautiful 14th-century "Small Palace", just north of (and named "petit" to distinguish it from) the the Pope's Palace. It has a great collection of Renaissance paintings, of the Avignon school and from Italy.
- Location: Palais des archevêques, Place du Palais des Papes
- Open: Daily, except Tuesday: 10h-13h, 14h-18h
- Closed: 1 Jan, 1 May, 25 Dec
- Entry: 6 €
- Tel: 0490 864 458
- Web: www.petit-palais.org/
Requien Museum - Musée Requien
- This is a small and very nicely presented Geological and Natural History museum, with many of the displays keyed to the natural and geological history of Provence.
- Location: 67 Rue Joseph Vernet; Beside (south of) the Calvet Museum
- Tel: 0490 824 351
- Web: www.museum-requien.org
Cabrières-d'Avignon - Vaucluse (84220)
Lavender Museum - Musée de la Lavande
- This fine musuem provides complete information about lavender, including its history, growth and the products made from it.
Machinery used in lavender distillation and production are described in English and French
The museum has a small cinema and shows a number of films about lavender. There's also, of course, a shop for purchasing lavender-based products.
- Location: Rte de Gordes ; Cabrières d'Avignon ; 84220 Coustellet
- Open: 7 days, including holidays:
- Feb, Mar, Oct, Nov, Dec: 9h-12h30, 14h-18h
- Apr, May, Sept: 9h-13h, 14h-18h
- June, July, Aug: 9h-19h
- Closed: January; 25 December
- Entry: 6 €; under 15 free (for 2008, 2009)
- Tel: 0490 769 123
- Web: www.museedelalavande.com/uk
Cavaillon - Vaucluse (84300)
Creche Provencal Museum - Musée de la Crèche Provençal
- Location: 1713 route de Robion - (Les Taillades)
- Tel: 0490 712 597; Fax: 0490 714 746
Fontaine-de-Vaucluse - Vaucluse (84800)
Santon Museum - Le Musée du Santon
- Over 2000 santons on display, in provencal villages, and 39 of them in walnut shells.
- Location: Place de la colonne
- Open: Daily, 10h-18h
- Tel: 0490 202 083; Fax: 0490 22 36 62
- Email: email@example.com
- Web: www.musee-du-santon.org
L' Isle-sur-la-Sorgue - Vaucluse (84800)
Toy and Old Dolls Museum - Musée du Jouet & de la Poupée Ancienne
- Around a 100 old dolls and toys from 1880 - 1920. A private collection in excellent condition and in a nice setting.
- Location: 26 Rue Carnot (centre-ville)
- Open: June-Sept: 10h30-18h; Oct-Apr: Sat-Sun 13h30-18h; May: daily 13h30-18h
- Closed: Mondays
- Tel: 0490 209 731, or 0677 778 755; Fax: 0490 209 731
Mormoiron - Vaucluse (84570)
Mechanical Music Museum - Musée de la Musique Mecanique
- Location: Route de Carpentras
- Open: Summer: daily; Winter: Sundays; Hours: 15h-19h
- Tel: 0490 617 591
- Web: musique.mecanique.pagesperso-orange.fr
Senanque Abbey (Abbaye de Senanque) - Vaucluse (84220)
Senanque Abbey Information
- Open: Visits begin: mornings 10h30 (except Jan, Nov-Dec); earlier June-Aug
- afternoons: 14h30 - 16h30 [Check their website for details]
- Closed: 5-18 Jan; 20 Nov; 25 Dec.
- Entry: 7 €, guided only.
- Tel: 0490 720 572; Fax: 0811 382 296
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.senanque.fr