The church in Ispagnac is 12th century. It's much renovated now, having been heavily damaged during the Wars of Religion.
History of Ispagnac
First record, Hispaniacum, meaning villa of Hispanus, a Roman who came to live in the valley here.
Prehistoric: A tumulus at Le Freycinel, a small hamlet 8 km north of Ispagnac village, contained material from the Bronze-age Hallstatt Culture (History). At this site there's a dolmen, southeast of the junction of the D31 and D35 roads.
Celto-Ligurian: Dolmens and menhirs are located on the Causse Méjean, the high plateau overlooking Ispagnac south of the river.
Gallo-Roman: Many Gallo-Roman artifacts have been discovered here; some are on display at the museum in Mende. A Gallo-Roman funeral stele is being used in the town church.
Medieval: The monastery here, cited in 1142, was connected to the Abbey of Saint-Géraud d'Aurillac. The town church was severely damaged during the Wars of Religion.
Office de tourisme Intercommunautaire Cévennes Gorges du Tarn
(for Florac, Ispagnac, Sainte Enimie)
• GPS: 44.370291, 3.534901
One hiking trail begins in Ispagnac. It goes west along roads through the village of Molines, then climbs the slope to join the GR de Pays Tour du Sauveterre, a hike that loops around the high plateau north of the Tarn river valley between Ispagnac and Sainte Enimie.