•Vaucluse (84290) • Population: 1,927 • Altitude: 130 m
A farming-residential town 15 km northeast of Orange, where the farming product is wine. Sainte Cécile-les-Vignes has wide, leisurly streets liberally lined with ancient Plain trees. The streets are also lined with houses, most of them picturesque, with their Provencal colors and contrasting shutters.
It's a pleasant place, but it's a living-and-working town, not a tourist attraction. There are a couple of major wineries in the town, including the "Cave Cecilia", and the Office de Tourisme is modern and active.
There are a couple of good cafés, a scattering of shops, a post office and a gendarmerie. The town's church is a grand affair, brighter than most, with its white stone and its white marble columns.
There are a few nice old fountains about the town. We especially liked a mossy old thing that was somewhat hidden from view: we spied it over the top of a wall near the center.
Discover more in ProvenceBeyond
• GPS: 44.245174, 4.88779
IGN (1/25,000) #3040 ET "Carpantras, Vaison-la-Romaine"
IGN (1/25,000) #3040 OT "Orange, Massif d'Uchaux"
Didier Richard (1/50,000) #27 "Ventoux"
Set amidst vineyards, this is not hiking country. You have immediate access to a good bottle of wine, but you'll have to drive a bit for good hiking, with one important exception. The GR 4 (Grande Randonnée) passes south of town, less that 1 km away.
Follow the GR 4 about 4 km east, along the lanes through the vineyards, to Cairanne. From Cairanne, two good hiking trails, the GR 4 and the GR de Pays, wander eastward through wooded hills that aren't too steep.
West of Sainte Cécile, the GR 4 is mostly via vineyards to Lagarde-Paréol (4 km). Further west and southwest, the trails get into wooded areas that are more interesting.
Transportation Sainte Cécile-les-Vignes
Department 84, Vaucluse Buses
- See Beyond's Bus Schedules Page 2: Vaucluse Department for downloading Vaucluse bus-lines map [Plan global des lignes] and bus-line schedules [pdf for each line] (link for PDF files).
• Avignon has train or bus connections to Aix-en-Provence, Arles, Nîmes, Saint Remy-de-Provence, Paris.
• Cavaillon has bus connections to Aix-en-Provence, Arles, Saint Remy-de-Provence.
• Pertuis has bus connections to Aix-en-Provence and Marseille.
- Sainte Cécile-les-Vignes hotels
- Avignon hotels 45 km
- Beaumes-de-Venise hotels 20 km
- Bollene hotels 13 km
- Cairanne hotels 4.5 km
- Carpentras hotels 28 km
- Gigondas hotels 14 km
- Nyons hotels 27 km
- Orange hotels 14 km
- Richerenches hotels 16 km
- Suze-la-Rousse hotels 10 km
- Vacqueyras hotels 16 km
- Vaison-la-Romaine hotels 18 km
- Valréas hotels 19 km