•Vaucluse (84330) • Population: 407 • Altitude: 212 m
St. Pierre-de-Vassols is a sleepy, residential village, a couple of km southeast of Caromb.
One interesting sight here is what seems to be well-tended hedges along the remote country roads. The "hedges" are actually stunted holly-oak trees cunningly and carefully pruned as road-side barriers (photo).
The village sits out on the farming plain of the Mède, with the Ventoux mountain range about 5 km to the north.
Discover more in ProvenceBeyond
History of Saint Pierre-de-Vassols
First record, 1262 Villa Vazolis; Sanctus Johannis de Vassols
Prehistoric: Many neolithic remains were found at Font-de-la-Gamatte.
Gallo-Roman: The Roman remains include the vestiges of villas.
Medieval: The early settlement was around the Benedictine Abbey at St-Jean-de-Vassols to the north. Following the barbarian invasions, St-Jean was abandoned and the settlement reformed at the location of the current village. St. Pierre-de-Vassols was part of the fief of Saint-Siège until it passed to the control of the Bishops of Carpentras.
Market day: Fri.
Aug (1st Sun) - Fête patronale St. Pierre
• GPS: 44.101155, 5.137319
St. Pierre-de-Vassols is in the middle of the Mède river plains, an area of rich farmlands, cherry orchards and vineyards.
Local hiking here would be country walking along the small roads.
• One marked hiking trail follows the little roads to the north, past the perched village of Crillon-le-Brave, then goes through the woods to join the GR (Grande Randonnée) trails at the edge of the Ventoux mountains.
• The GR trails include the GR91 and the GR4, and the closest villages are Bédoin and Malaucène.
Transportation Saint Pierre-de-Vassols
Department 84, Vaucluse Buses
- See Beyond's Bus Schedules Page 2: Vaucluse Department for downloading Vaucluse bus-lines map [Plan global des lignes] and bus-line schedules [pdf for each line] (link for PDF files).
• Avignon has train or bus connections to Aix-en-Provence, Arles, Nîmes, Saint Remy-de-Provence, Paris.
• Cavaillon has bus connections to Aix-en-Provence, Arles, Saint Remy-de-Provence.
• Pertuis has bus connections to Aix-en-Provence and Marseille.